[How To] Facial Unlock on Samsung Galaxy SII
Android 4.0 has great functionality, design format and some very cool tools and gestures, making it easily the most stylish and smoothly running Android operating system of all time. But I didn’t really need to tell you guys that. However, one of the operating system’s most talked about features can now be used on the Samsung galaxy S 1 and 2.
The Facial recognition Unlock Feature gives the owner of the phone the ability to unlock their phone just by quickly looking directly at the front camera. Very cool in principle, but the system is a little flawed. Using a picture of yourself will also unlock your phone, giving anyone with a photo of you the ability to unlock your phone…thank you Social networks, not!
The Face Unlock feature is available for those who have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. In this article you will learn how to set up Face Unlock on your Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0 ICS firmware. But, take note that this is only applicable if you are going to root your phone. If you are not willing to root your phone then you will consequently not be able to set up this application.
Before you proceed with setting up Face Unlock on your Galaxy S2, make sure that your phone:
- Is rooted
- Has ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Is running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware build XXKP8.
If your phone meets those requirements, you can follow these steps:
1. Download the Face Unlock update file to your computer and then copy the downloaded ZIP file to your SD card. Get the file here.
2. Turn off your mobile phone and reboot it into recovery mode. You can do this by pressing the Volume Up and OK buttons. Press both buttons at the same time and then press the Power button.
3. If you are already in recovery mode, proceed by selecting “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe Cache partition”.
4. Reboot your device by selecting “Reboot system now” from the recovery menu.
5. Reboot your device again into recovery mode.
6. From the menu, select “install zip from SD card”, then ” choose zip from SD card”, and then choose the Face Unlock ZIP file which is on your phone. After you have selected the file, installation will start.
7. After installation, your device will again display the recovery mode screen. Select “Reboot system now” to reboot the phone. Take note that this time, restarting your device will take much longer. On the other hand, you can also opt to update this package from ClockworkMod Recovery.